Government of the Co-operative Republic of Guyana
MINISTRY OF THE PRESIDENCY
Department of Environment
Terms of Reference for Coastal Zone Management Coordinator
The Department of Environment (DoE), under the aegis of the Ministry of the Presidency, has the mandate to coordinate and lead all efforts in transforming the country to a sustainable and green state by ensuring: (1) the sustainable use, conservation and protection of the natural environment; (2) the development of robust and resilient infrastructure; (3) the creation of comprehensive environmental policies and legislation; (4) the preservation of public health through effective environmental safeguards; and (5) a better quality of life for all Guyanese.
Guyana, being part of the Guianas Shield, is endowed with rich natural resources and abundant biodiversity along with one of the last remaining pristine rainforests of the world. Guyana’s rainforest provides essential ecosystem services inclusive of global climate regulation.
Guyana is a signatory to a plethora of environmental protocols, agreements and treaties that increase our capacity for the effective management of the environment. The country’s ratification of the Paris Agreement in 2016 has demonstrated Guyana’s commitment to global action against climate change and environmental preservation.
Further, the realisation of the recently developed Green State Development Strategy is a critical part of the work of the DoE. Therefore, to deliver its mandate, the DoE is procuring the technical expertise of a Coastal Zone Management Coordinator who will work with and support the efforts of other ministries, departments, agencies and stakeholders.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Coastal Zone Management Coordinator will support the development and management of the DoE’s programmes and work plans relative to coastal zone management, ensuring coherence with the expected strategy of the Department and supporting the implementation of programmes and work plans. The coordinator will work closely with other departments and partners to guarantee smooth implementation of activities.
Under the supervision of the Director of the DoE, the main duties of the Coastal Zone Management Coordinator will:
• Provide support for stakeholders in national, regional and international organisations in the protection, conservation and sustainable use of coastal and marine resources area of coastal zone management;
• Create and promote strategic areas of cooperation for achieving protection, restoration and sustainable use of all coastal and marine resources in Guyana;
• Provide specialist support to the research and development officer in the area of coastal zone management;
• Coordinate all technical and legal inputs, comments and suggestions regarding coastal zone policy development;
• Work closely with the Stakeholder Management Coordinator to facilitate multi-sectorial dialogues and consultations relating to the use and management of coastal and marine resources;
• Review and supervise the integration of relevant cross-cutting policies and programmes into existing coastal zone management systems for the sustainable use and management of coastal and marine resources;
• Perform any other duties that may be assigned by the DoE.
SPECIFIC QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Master of Science Degree in Coastal and Marine Management, Natural Resource Management, Environmental Management, or other relevant field
• A minimum of 3 years of experience at a senior supervisory or managerial level
• Articulate, analytical and decisive with excellent communication, negotiating and presentation skills
• Be able to think independently and work under minimum supervision
• Must be resourceful
• Strong problem solving skills and creativity
• Ability to maintain confidentiality as required
• Must be flexible
• Must be able to work effectively as part of a team
o Respect for each other and office arrangements (time, rules, information-sharing, etc.)
o Support team members (team work)