Government of the Co-operative Republic of Guyana
MINISTRY OF THE PRESIDENCY
Department of Environment
Terms of Reference for Data Management Officer
The Department of Environment (DoE), under the aegis of the Ministry of the Presidency, has the mandate to coordinate and lead all efforts in transforming the country to a sustainable and green state by ensuring: (1) the sustainable use, conservation and protection of the natural environment; (2) the development of robust and resilient infrastructure; (3) the creation of comprehensive environmental policies and legislation; (4) the preservation of public health through effective environmental safeguards; and (5) a better quality of life for all Guyanese.
Guyana, being part of the Guianas Shield, is endowed with rich natural resources and abundant biodiversity along with one of the last remaining pristine rainforests of the world. Guyana’s rainforest provides essential ecosystem services inclusive of global climate regulation.
Guyana is a signatory to a plethora of environmental protocols, agreements and treaties that increase our capacity for the effective management of the environment. The country’s ratification of the Paris Agreement in 2016 has demonstrated Guyana’s commitment to global action against climate change and environmental preservation.
Further, the realisation of the recently developed Green State Development Strategy is a critical part of the work of the DoE. Therefore, to deliver its mandate, the DoE is procuring the technical expertise of a Data Management Officer who will work with and support the efforts of other ministries, departments, agencies and stakeholders.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Data Management Officer will support the development and management of the DoE’s programmes and work plans, ensuring coherence with the expected strategy of the department and supporting the implementation of programmes and work plans. The officer will work closely with other departments and partners to guarantee smooth implementation of activities.
Under the supervision of the Director of the DoE, the Data Management Officer will:
• Develop and maintain a national repository of major laws, guidelines, regulations and policies relating to environmental management, conservation and protection;
• Developing and maintaining a comprehensive database of all projects and programmes, that were and are, being implemented by the DoE in conjunction with internal and external partners;
• Be responsible for the development and implementation of data quality control procedures and activities;
• Developing protocols and management plans for data access, sharing, privacy, storage and back-up, and ensuring that the DoE’s activities meet the requirements of the Data Protection Act;
• Ensuring a fully integrated, functional and updated internet, intranet and websites;
• Troubleshoot and correct data submission or retrieval errors;
• Perform and document procedures for data preparation including data cleaning, standardization and analysis;
• Assist in defining and/or creating data listings, summary table validation, data specifications and/or process data transfers in preparation for statistical review and/or data management audit;
• Perform any other duties that may be assigned by the DoE.
SPECIFIC QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• BSc in Computer Science or CCNP or CCIE certifications or equivalent
• Minimum of 3 year experience
• Articulate, analytical and decisive with excellent communication, negotiating and presentation skills
• Be able to think independently and work under minimum supervision
• Must be resourceful
• Strong problem solving skills and creativity
• Ability to maintain confidentiality as required
• Must be flexible
• Must be able to work effectively as part of a team