Government of the Co-operative Republic of Guyana
MINISTRY OF THE PRESIDENCY
Department of Environment
Terms of Reference for Sustainable Development Coordinator
The Department of Environment (DoE), under the aegis of the Ministry of the Presidency, has the mandate to coordinate and lead all efforts in transforming the country to a sustainable and green state by ensuring: (1) the sustainable use, conservation and protection of the natural environment; (2) the development of robust and resilient infrastructure; (3) the creation of comprehensive environmental policies and legislation; (4) the preservation of public health through effective environmental safeguards; and (5) a better quality of life for all Guyanese.
Guyana, being part of the Guianas Shield, is endowed with rich natural resources and abundant biodiversity along with one of the last remaining pristine rainforests of the world. Guyana’s rainforest provides essential ecosystem services inclusive of global climate regulation.
Guyana is a signatory to a plethora of environmental protocols, agreements and treaties that increase our capacity for the effective management of the environment. The country’s ratification of the Paris Agreement in 2016 has also demonstrated Guyana’s commitment to global action against climate change and environmental preservation.
Further, the realisation of the recently developed Green State Development Strategy is a critical part of the work of the DoE. Therefore, to deliver its mandate, the DoE is procuring the technical expertise of a Sustainable Development Coordinator who will work with and support the efforts of other ministries, departments, agencies and stakeholders.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Sustainable Development Coordinator will support the development and management of the DoE’s programmes and work plans relative to sustainable development, ensuring coherence with the expected strategy of the department and supporting the implementation of programmes and work plans. The Coordinator will work closely with other departments and partners to guarantee smooth implementation of activities.
Under the supervision of the Director of the DoE, the main duties of the Sustainable Development Coordinator will:
• Provide substantive support within the DoE, as well as to inter-agency or expert groups on issues relating to sustainable development, notably on issues relating to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development;
• Provide specialist support and aid in the coordination and coalescing of the efforts of agencies and organisations regarding sustainable development to ensure that Guyana achieves its intended goals in keeping with the SDGs;
• Represent the DoE on national, regional and international fora, meetings, seminars, discussion groups, conventions, and other events as well as participate in consultations with partners and colleagues in other institutions in the area of sustainable development;
• Act as a sustainable development champion on behalf of the DoE to foster coordination of sustainable development initiatives and activities across various stakeholders to promote sensitization and adoption of sustainable lifestyles;
• Provide support to the DoE’s legal team and other units in the development of policies, regulations and other legislative instruments relating to sustainable development;
• Create and promote strategic partnerships with agencies and organisations to design, prepare and execute projects and programmes in relation to sustainable development;
• Work closely with the Data Management Officer to conduct analysis and research on donors to identify areas of cooperation and opportunities for the initiation of new projects for an overall contribution to sustainable development;
• Coordinate and implement departmental programs and assist with the delivery of other corporate goals that relate to sustainability;
• Perform any other duties that may be assigned by the DoE.
SPECIFIC QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Master of Science Degree in Sustainable Development, Natural Resource Management, Environmental Management, Environmental Sciences, or other relevant field
• A minimum of 3 years of experience at a senior supervisory or managerial level
• Articulate, analytical and decisive with excellent communication, negotiating and presentation skills
• Be able to think independently and work under minimum supervision
• Must be resourceful
• Strong problem solving skills and creativity
• Ability to maintain confidentiality as required
• Must be flexible
• Must be able to work effectively as part of a team
o Respect for each other and office arrangements (time, rules, information-sharing, etc.)
o Support team members (team work)