Government of the Co-operative Republic of Guyana
MINISTRY OF THE PRESIDENCY
Department of Environment
Terms of Reference for Senior Legal Coordinator
The Department of Environment (DoE), under the aegis of the Ministry of the Presidency, has the mandate to coordinate and lead all efforts in transforming the country to a sustainable and green state by ensuring: (1) the sustainable use, conservation and protection of the natural environment; (2) the development of robust and resilient infrastructure; (3) the creation of comprehensive environmental policies and legislation; (4) the preservation of public health through effective environmental safeguards; and (5) a better quality of life for all Guyanese.
Guyana, being part of the Guianas Shield, is endowed with rich natural resources and abundant biodiversity along with one of the last remaining pristine rainforests of the world. Guyana’s rainforest provides essential ecosystem services inclusive of global climate regulation.
Guyana is a signatory to a plethora of environmental protocols, agreements and treaties that increase our capacity for the effective management of the environment. The country’s ratification of the Paris Agreement in 2016 has demonstrated Guyana’s commitment to global action against climate change and environmental preservation.
Further, the realisation of the recently developed Green State Development Strategy is a critical part of the work of the DoE. Therefore, to deliver its mandate, the DoE is procuring the technical expertise of a Senior Legal Coordinator who will work with and support the efforts of other ministries, departments, agencies and stakeholders.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Senior Legal Coordinator will support the development and management of the DoE’s programmes and work plans of a legal nature, ensuring coherence with the expected strategy of the department and supporting the implementation of programmes and work plans. The coordinator will work closely with other departments and partners to guarantee smooth implementation of activities.
Under the supervision of the Director of the DoE, the main duties of the Senior Legal Coordinator will:
• Ensure the alignment of policies, regulations and guidelines with international protocols, treaties and agreement that govern environmental management, sustainability, conservation and protection in Guyana;
• Liaise with agencies and organisations under the purview of the DoE to ensure that there is complementarity, consistency and uniformity of policies, regulations and guidelines that govern environmental management, sustainability, conservation and protection;
• To ensure that all documents emanating from the DoE are in conformance to the local constitution and other legal policies, programmes and regulations;
• To provide legal support for the DoE and be an integral part of national, regional and international negotiations related to environmental concerns as may be required;
• Provide specialised support to all other agencies and departments under the purview of the DoE in the formulation, review, and amendment of policies and regulations;
• Perform any other duties that may be assigned by the DoE.
SPECIFIC QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• LLM in Environmental Law or International Law with a minimum of 3 year experience as a practicing lawyer
• LLB with a minimum of 5 years’ experience as a practicing lawyer
• Articulate, analytical and decisive with excellent communication, negotiating and presentation skills
• Be able to think independently and work under minimum supervision
• Must be resourceful
• Strong problem solving skills and creativity
• Ability to maintain confidentiality as required
• Must be flexible
• Must be able to work effectively as part of a team
o Respect for each other and office arrangements (time, rules, information-sharing, etc.)
o Support team members (team work)