The discovery of oil in May 2015 has the potential to significantly transform the economy of the Cooperative Republic of Guyana. However, to achieve the transformational change envisaged the country will need to establish the necessary policies and procedures, and train and hire the requisite skills to propel the new and emerging Oil and Gas Industry.
Accordingly, on August 1, 2018 the Government of the Cooperative Republic of Guyana established the Department of Energy (DoE) within the Ministry of the Presidency (MotP). The main functions of the DoE are to, inter alia, establish the framework (institutional, legal, regulatory) for the emerging Oil and Gas Industry, be positively transformative for the Guyanese economy over the short-, medium- and long-terms, and set the country on a sustainable development pathway. The DoE is now seeking to recruit an Accountant for the newly established Department.
2. OBJECTIVES OF THE DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY
To conduct its operations with the highest degree of professionalism, transparency, accountability, and efficiency that meets international best practices; and ensure the benefits received from the Oil and Gas Industry redound to all Guyanese.
3. SCOPE OF WORK
The Accountant will be responsible for all fiscal matters associated with the DoE, and will provide efficient financial support to DoE by contributing to the effective management of the Department and achievement of its goals, assisting with the implementation, co-ordination and monitoring of all initiatives and programmes undertaken by the Department from a financial perspective. The Accountant will, therefore, be expected, at a minimum, to carry out the following activities:
a) Planning and Budgeting:
• Participate in preparation of annual and quarterly work plans, and prepare quarterly advance requests for DoE funding in the requisite format.
• Participate in quarterly work planning and progress reporting meetings with the Director, DoE.
• Conduct DoE budget monitoring and suggest revisions to the Director of the DoE.
• Performs any other related duties assigned.
• Establish a robust accounting system, including reporting and filing systems, in accordance with the Government of Guyana procedures.
• Maintain petty cash transactions, including writing receipts, preparing payment request forms, disbursement of cash and clearance of advances.
• Manage banking transactions related to the Department project, including preparing bank transfer requests, submitting them to the bank, monitoring transfers and preparing monthly bank reconciliation statements and reporting.
• Reconcile all balance sheet accounts and maintain records on file.
• Prepare DoE financial reports for agreement by the Director of the DoE as required.
• Monitor and ensure expenditure of the DoE is made in accordance with GoG procedures and laws and approved by the Director, as appropriate.
• Check budget lines to ensure that all transactions are in keeping with the correct line item.
• Ensure documentation relating to payments are duly approved by the Director.
• Report any actual or potential financial issues to the Director, or other senior officers, as appropriate.
• Monitor expenditure of petty cash and ensure records on file are up-to-date.
• Continuously improve systems and procedures to enhance internal controls to satisfy audit requirements.
• Maintain an inventory file to support purchases of all equipment/assets.
• Undertake other relevant matters assigned by the Director.
4. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• At least a Bachelor’s of Science Degree from an accredited University in accounting, finance or related fields or completion of the Association of Certified Chartered Accountants (ACCA).
• At least five (5) years of experience in finance and accounting. Solid experience of budgeting, planning and reporting on natural resources.
• Knowledge in administrative and accounting procedures of the Government of Guyana.
• Knowledge of international organizations/agencies’ and national financial regulations and procedures.
• Good computer skills in common word processing (MS Word), spreadsheet (MS Excel), and accounting software.
5. PERFORMANCE STANDARDS
• High quality administrative support delivered consistently to the Director.
• Confidentiality, integrity and professionalism are displayed in the execution of duties and personal conduct.
• Key deliverables are produced within agreed timeframes and to required standards.
• Established deadlines, targets and quality standards are consistently met.
6. REQUIRED COMPETENCY
• Ability to think and act strategically across a wide range of functions.
• Ability to multitask, pay attention to detail, works under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
• Excellent planning and organization skills.
• Excellent negotiating, problem solving and decision making skills.
• Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills.
• Strong customer orientation skills.
• Ability to create effective tracking and management systems and to follow up and carry tasks through to successful completion.
• Ability to work on own initiative and with minimal guidance.
• Ability to exercise sound judgement and conviction of purpose in unfavourable or unpopular situations.
• Ability to interface with senior government and private sector officials both locally and internationally, and with members of the donor community.
• High level of diplomacy and initiative.
7. REPORTING RELATIONSHIP
The Accountant will report to the Director of the DoE.
8. DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT
The assignment will be for 3 years in the first instance, renewable thereafter, based on performance.