Georgetown, Guyana – (May 12, 2017) The Guyana National Cybersecurity Incident Response Team (GNCIRT) confirms that a global ransomware attack is currently in progress. The self-spreading ransomware, known as ‘Wanna Cry’ or ‘Wanna Decryptor’, exploits a vulnerability in Microsoft’s Windows operating system.
It is believed that this ransomware is spread through phishing emails, malicious adverts on websites, and questionable apps and programs.
Users are advised to be extremely cautious in their online activities.
· Do NOT open unsolicited or suspicious emails or links therein
· Do NOT open attachments included in unsolicited e-mails
· Do NOT click on links to unfamiliar or nefarious websites
· Do NOT download applications and programs that have not been verified by an official store
In the event that your computer has been infected with the ‘Wanna Cry’ ransomware, take the following steps:
· Disconnect and quarantine the infected system by removing it from your network
· Apply the latest Microsoft patch to all computer systems (please see Microsoft’s Security Bulletin MS17-010)
For further information and support, please contact GNCIRT at 660-6074 or 231-8820 ext. 221 or 222; or firstname.lastname@example.org. Future updates will be provided as more information becomes available.